- 24 horas
- Julián Blanco
- Diego-César Alarcón-Padilla
- Guillermo Zaragoza
The general purpose of this 4-day intensive course is to provide experts, professionals and postgraduate students from all around the world with the latest knowledge of the different existing technologies involving the use of
solar energy to drive desalination techniques. More specifically, the course will instruct scientists and technicians on the basic principles of desalination using solar energy, the state of the art of the most promising technologies and the experiences acquired so far. Theoretical lessons will be complemented with practical exercises and visits to the test facilities of Plataforma Solar de Almeria operating on solar power production and desalination, which are the most advanced in the Mediterranean area.
Why solar desalination?
- Current status water and energy problems. Water-Energy Nexus: available options and solutions. Worldwide development of renewables: benefits and reasons behind. The role of renewables in the 21st century.
- Fundamentals of Solar Energy.
- Sun-Earth relationships. Solar radiation components and distribution.
- Basic equations. Solar radiation measurement devices. Solar radiometric forecast tools.
- Water desalination: Fundamentals, conventional technologies and research trends.
- Basic equations and relevant parameters. Thermal desalination: multi-stage flash evaporation, multi-effect distillation and vapor compression (mechanical and thermal).
- Membrane desalination: Reverse osmosis, electrodialysis, forward osmosis and membrane distillation. Current world outlook.
- Low temperature solar collector fundamentals.
- Static solar collectors: flat plate, CPC and evacuated tube collectors
- Efficiency assessment of an individual static solar collector.
- Computer aided design of static solar collector fields: termal performance assessment. Development and explanation of static solar collector calculations (energy delivered, solar field dimensioning, etc.) considering the different technologies available
- Concentrating solar technologies.
- Medium temperature solar thermal collectors: Parabolic troughs and Linear Fresnel technologies. Main characteristics and technical data.
- Thermal energy storage in solar plants. Central Receiver system: main characteristics & basic components. Latest developments of central receiver systems and current worldwide status. Parabolic troughs versus tower technology status and assessment. Worldwide power plan status.
- PV fundamentals.
- Performance and current status of different PV technologies: cell efficiency and cost evolution. Largest existing PV plants worldwide.
- Capacity factor of PV compared with CSP plants. Concentrating PV: status and latest developments.
Solar Desalination. Technological status
- Photovoltaic and reverse osmosis.
- Conventional RO systems: components and analysis of energy consumption. Systems for energy recovery at small-scale. PV-RO characteristics and energy performance. Pilot plant experiences. Global outlook and costs discussion.
- Practical exercises.
- PV-RO calculation. Design procedure of solar field size and configuration considering commercial PV panels. Procedure and methodology for commercial PV panel selection.
- Low capacity solar thermal distillation systems I.
- Solar Stills.
- Humidification – Dehumidification (HDH) systems.
- Pilot plants and commercial products.
- Low capacity solar thermal distillation systems II: Membrane.
- Fundamentals and configurations.
- Membranes and modules.
- Energy balance and coupling with solar energy.
- Experience with MD prototypes.
- High capacity solar thermal distillation systems. The PSA experience Review of worldwide experiences in indirect solar termal desalination. Collector technology selection and solar field design criteria for LT-MED systems. Collector technology selection and solar field design criteria for high-temperature MED systems (TVC-MED, ABS-MED and ADS-MED).
- Practical exercises.
- Parabolic trough solar field calculation. Practical case of TVC-MED plant coupled to a parabolic trough solar field. Design procedure of solar field size and configuration considering commercial parabolic trough collectors.
- Arrival to Plataforma Solar de Almeria and welcome.
- Welcome and brief introduction of PSA.
- Technical visit to solar power production facilities at PSA (central receiver and parabolic trough).
- Detailed technical visit to PSA solar desalination facilities (MED plant, MD pilot plants, CSP+D test-bed).
- Desalination Concentrate Management.
- Brine disposal: options and limitations. Systems for zero liquid discharge and role of solar energy. Product recovery and energy generation from brines. Salinity gradient solar ponds and synergies with desalination.
- Concentrating Solar Power and Desalination.
- CSP and Desalination: benefits and drawbacks. Power and water configurations: water and power production ratios. Cooling options assessment. Impact on overall plant performance. CSP+D case study.
- Economical aspects of desalination using solar energy.
- Cost calculation methodology. Seawater Reverse Osmosis case study analysis. Seawater Multi-Effect Distillation case study analysis.
- Power generation by parabolic trough plant. Case study analysis.
- Power generation by photovoltaic plant. Case study analysis. CSP+D cost estimation.
- Practical exercises.
Otros cursos bonificables de CIEMAT:
Nosotros nos encargamos de gestionar la bonificación de estos cursos. Para información sobre la inscripción, CONTACTA CON EL CENTRO.